× Acromegaly is a systemic condition caused in over 98% of cases by an adenoma of the pituitary gland that secretes excessive growth hormone (GH).

secondary Addison's

• Kim91b
  • Kim91b's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts 8
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Kim91b on topic secondary Addison's

Hey there Cindie! My name is Kim. I too suffer from secondary adrenal insufficiency (not due to an adrenectomy, as a result of a very tumultuous pregnancy) and pituitary adenoma. I also have been an ER/trauma nurse for 15 years. Although it appears that many of your symptoms are related to either a damaged pituitary gland due to your previous tumor and/or your adrenal insufficiency, it may also be the case that some of your diagnoses and symptoms are not directly related. Due to the weight gain, presumably from the steroid use, your high blood pressure and elevated cholesterol may be related to your weight. If you still have all your female plumbing, your hot flashes, facial flushing, and profuse sweating may just be menopause rearing it's ugly head; however, due to your endocrinological problems, the symptoms are much worse than others. The facial flushing can also be related to the adrenal insufficiency as well as the hypothyroidism. The diabetes insipidus causes you to drink excessive amounts of liquid, further lowering your serum sodium levels which are usually quite low with adrenal insufficiency anyway. This can lead to the muscle and bone pain, and will also lead to excessive perspiration.
<br>I hope this information helps! Feel free to contact me anytime, with questions and I will do whatever I can. This site has been a God-sent to me. Sometimes knowing medicine can make things more difficult on a patient, like in my case!!
<br>Best Regards,
<br>Kim
<br>[email protected]
5 years 11 months ago #9985

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kim91b
  • Kim91b's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts 8
  • Thank you received: 0

secondary Addison's was created by Kim91b

JMG -
<br>Wow! I stumbled across this site at the advice of my doctor because we have been unable to find a surgeon to treat my pituitary adenoma due to my Addison's disease (actually, secondary adrenal insufficiency). I didn't know there was anyone else out there! Usually, pituitary adenomas cause Cushing's Syndrome. As an ER/trauma nurse for the last 15 years, I have yet to even have a patient with the same combination of diagnoses. Here it is, day 1 on this site, and I read your post.
<br>This may seem silly, but knowing there is at least one more out there like me makes things a bit brighter! My doctor has decided that bromocriptine would be too dangerous with my adrenal insufficiency, and we have been unable to find a surgeon willing to remove the tumor due to the risk of adrenal crisis during surgery. Thus, the headaches are progressively getting worse, I have nearly lost all peripheral vision in my left eye, and I continue with nipple discharge.
<br>Have you heard anything about cannabis oil? I was one of those health care professionals who believed that people liked to call marijuana "medicine" so they made it easier to validate getting high. Then I started hearing about cannabis oil's anti-neoplastic and anti-inflammatory properties. I read many articles regarding the oil's ability to "supposedly" shrink tumors but didn't give the articles much credit. That is, until I read an article in the New England Journal of Medicine regarding a 2 year old patient at NYU Children's Hospital in the pediatric ICU who was suffering from a terminal pituitary macroadenoma. This young patient was on life-support and given just weeks to live. The father of this patient asked the pediatric intensivist about the possibility of using cannabis oil through the child's PEG tube, to attempt to shrink the tumor. The doctor told the father that since the oil was not approved by the FDA, he could not prescribe it, but that he would allow the father to give it to the patient, twice daily, figuring it couldn't hurt the child any, as he was given only a couple weeks to live. After 2 months, the tumor had reduced in size significantly, and now, 8 years later, that child is not only alive and well, that child is tumor free.
<br>After reading that article, I was determined to give the oil a try. My biggest concern was whether or not I was going to get "high" from the oil. I am happy to say that, because the oil is high in CBD and not THC, there is not psycho-active properties and I do not get any sort of head change.
<br>I am sorry for rambling, I am just so excited to find somebody, finally, in the same boat as me.
<br>Best of luck to you!
<br>I would love to keep in touch, trading advice along the way!
<br>Please feel free to email me anytime. I would greatly appreciate it! You have no idea what a relief it is that I have found somebody like me !
<br>
<br>Best Regards, Kim
<br>[email protected]
5 years 11 months ago #9984

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: [email protected]membershipcoordinatoradministration