× Hypopituitarism is a general term that refers to any under function of the pituitary gland. This is a clinical definition used by endocrinologists and is interpreted to mean that one or more functions of the pituitary are deficient.

Genetic

• Posts 1
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Aeb143 on topic Genetic

I have been told by an endocrinologist that there is some evidence that endocrine disorders may be hereditary, but not the same disorder necessarily. For instance, I have hypopituitarism. My maternal grandmother had Addison's disease. My mother's sister and her daughter had Grave's disease prior to having their cancerous thyroids removed and irradiated.
1 year 8 months ago #10379

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 4Lexie
  • 4Lexie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts 4
  • Thank you received: 0

Genetic was created by 4Lexie

Does anyone have experience of genetic Hypopituitarism ? I am looking for help (not treatment) for a family member , now 60, with lifelong short-term memory impairments combined with Hypogonadism , very thin skin, zero libido lifelong and much paler than other family members. Debilitating mood fluctuations , muscle weakness and fatigue. These symptoms and the familial aspect are not considered together in the uk and risk being dismissed as a Psychological issue if questioned. (There is very little in Medicine which is easier than undermining the credibility of the patient) It is the short-term memory problem , apparent in the wider family which has been most problematic in education and in attempts to earn a living. Quality of life has been devastated and another generation is now affected. I note that a firm in Cambridge (England) , related to the university ,offers genetic testing , including one for Combined Pituitary Hormone Deficiency. (Unfortunately for c £1000) The benefit potentialy would be try to make sense of the more ill-defined symptoms. So my question is - does anyone have thoughts or experience on this ? www.geneadviser.com/#q=Combined+Pituitary
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by 4Lexie.
2 years 4 months ago #10316

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: [email protected]membershipcoordinatoradministration