**Covid-19 and Adrenal Insufficiency - Patient Advisory**

The PNA has been monitoring the unprecedented events taking place around the world.
During these uncertain times, we want to share as much information with our patient community as possible. 

Click on this link to read the advisory

× Hypopituitarism is a general term that refers to any under function of the pituitary gland. This is a clinical definition used by endocrinologists and is interpreted to mean that one or more functions of the pituitary are deficient.

Colonoscopy

• Posts 46
  • Thank you received: 3

Replied by carolk on topic Colonoscopy

I am not a medical professional but what I know about Addison's Disease is that everyone's body metabolizes hydrocortisone differently. There doesn't appear to be clearcut guidelines out in the world on this issue, so I would discuss the Addison's issue with your GI doctor and ask that he consult with your endo for proper guidance on how to proceed. There should be a discussion with you once the plan is established so you can ask any questions and express any concerns before you begin the prep, I think it's wise to be sure that there is a plan to have an emergency injection ready during the procedure in the event you need it.

It's surprising that you haven't been given an RX for an emergency injection kit. I would call the endo's nurse and request one. I hope this helps.
1 month 4 weeks ago #10843

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• campbay
  • campbay's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts 5
  • Thank you received: 0

Colonoscopy was created by campbay

What are the opinions regarding extra cortisone, maybe even a drip, during prep for and during a colonoscopy?  Some countries talk about the need for a drip in either the prep, the procedure or both.
Also most suggest that even without a drip that the doctor should be prepared to administer an emergency injection.  I have been hypopit since 2012 and even though I've been to my local endocrinologist, Blevins at UCSF and Fleseriu at OHSU none of them have given me a prescription for an emergency injection.  I've been told I need one but after I leave the appointments I realize that, once again I am short a prescription.  My local pharmacist isn't  even aware of these injection kits.
I am 69, tested positive with the cologuard, had a colonoscopy ten years ago with some 'abnormal/pre-cancerous polyps, but I'm not sure the risks of prep and the procedure are worth the small chance of me getting colon cancer before I die of complications of hypopit.  Plus the endocrinologists around the world seem to have very different opinions.
Anyone know anything about this topic?
2 months 2 days ago #10839

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: [email protected]membershipcoordinatoradministration