× These pituitary tumors (also called adenomas) secrete excessive amounts of prolactin and are the most common type of pituitary tumor seen clinically.

Hello all! Question about whether I have a tumour or not! :)

• Posts 3
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Rkbrumbelow on topic Hello all! Question about whether I have a tumour or not! :)

It would help to know your sex, if you are male, the high probability from the brief description is that you certainly do have an adenoma. Adenomas can be difficult to visualize even with contrast. If you are female then it could be a few different issues. Just what are your prolactin levels? 

"Prominence of the suprasellar cistern with flattening of the pituitary gland. "

This tells me the radiologist could not visualize your pituitary gland, possibly at all. If you are female, there is a possibility that a cyst is applying pressure to your pituitary and that additional pressure is causing an increase in prolactin.

Actually there are a number of possible issues, they vary in probability and it is frequently an issue of eliminate each one from most common to least and when you find one you cannot remove via testing or imaging, it is assumed this is your issue, so it is treated. If successful, great, if not verify the treatment and move to the next.

The pituitary gland is a complex feedback circuit controlling a number of hormones. Compressing a nerve can block feedback leading to an overrun or block the signal allowing for release of the same. 

I know I have answered a whole lot of  "I don't know from the info you have given," but, maybe I have clarified why it is difficult to know.
10 months 2 weeks ago #10685

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• cake13
  • cake13's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts 1
  • Thank you received: 0

Hello all! Question about whether I have a tumour or not! :) was created by cake13

Dear all, I wonder if you can help.  My prolactin levels are high so I've been put on cabergoline, which has regulated it.

However, despite two MRIs, and I am still genuinely confused as to whether or not I have a tumour/adenoma!  Two doctors say I do, and one says I do not!

The findings of the radiographer has been, on each occasion:  "Prominence of the suprasellar cistern with flattening of the pituitary gland.  No focal abnormalities seen within it.  Normal infundibulum".  One report also said:  "No focal adenoma could be identified on the MRI".

Do I actually have a tumour or not?  I'd love to know! :)  

Thank you xx
10 months 2 weeks ago #10683

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: [email protected]membershipcoordinatoradministration