× Tell us about your journey

15 year old with pituitary adenoma

• Posts 9
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by kfbrady on topic 15 year old with pituitary adenoma

I had transsphenoidal surgery about 5 years ago for a non functional pituitary macroadenoma - about 12mm. I was a 62 year old healthy male in fairly good physical condition. The surgery was relatively straightforward but took quite a long time - about 6 hours - and I did experience some nausea afterwards from the anesthesia but that was controlled and I really didn't experience much pain. I was kept in hospital for two nights but my surgeon did a great job and I had no significant bleeding or CSF leaks. Once I was home my recovery went very quickly and I while I was a little tender for a week or so, I was back at work after a month.

Since then I have an annual MRI to check that there has been no reoccurrence of the tumor but so far I've been fine.
1 year 1 month ago #10448

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Posts 84

Replied by PNA-Tammy on topic 15 year old with pituitary adenoma

Hello Jeanne,

I am not a medical professional so I cannot specifically answer your questions, your daughters neurosurgeon or someone on his staff should be able to give you more information.

The PNA does however have many webinars related to pituitary surgery with a great deal of information about how the surgery is done. There is a page on our website with several of our webinars which is a great place to start.

pituitary.org/knowledge-base/pna-educational-webinars

The webinars listed on the above page are on a variety of topics. There is one specific webinar from a few years ago that may also be beneficial it is titled "What to expect before, during and after pituitary surgery."

Here is a link to that webinar on our YouTube channel.

I know you mentioned that your daughters surgeon is excellent, but make sure that he has experience removing pituitary tumors. Not all neurosurgeons have experience with pituitary tumors. Since the pituitary controls so much of our everyday lives, a skilled pituitary surgeon can make a big difference in the quality of life after surgery.

I hope this information is helpful. Feel free to contact us if you would like additional information or have any questions. We can be reached at (805) 499-9973 or via email at [email protected]

Take care,

Tammy Mazzella
Pituitary Network Association
1 year 2 months ago #10444

• Jeanne07
  • Jeanne07's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts 1

15 year old with pituitary adenoma was created by Jeanne07

Hello, I daughter was just diagnosed with a non secreting pituitary adenoma. It was found during a children’s gyn work up as she doesn’t get her period and she gets several hot flashes today. She’s to have it removed July 10. My question is what should I expect post-op? It will be removed transnasal. Is it terribly painful? I was told will go to the ICU post-op but will be discharged the next day. That doesn’t seem long. What are we getting into? The neurosurgeon is excellent. I work in the medical field which turns out to be very small and from all accounts he’s second to none. I just do t know what to expect.
1 year 2 months ago #10442

Moderators: [email protected]