This month the PNA Medical Corner spotlights an article co-authored by Dr. John A. Jane, a neurosurgeon with the University of Virginia Health System in Charlottesville and a longtime member of the PNA. The study compares conservative management versus early surgical intervention and concludes that surgery is not necessary in the majority of patients if they are closely monitored.
. 2021 Apr 30;1-9.
doi: 10.3171/2020.9.JNS202899. Online ahead of print.
Matthew J Shepard 1 2, M Harrison Snyder 1, Sauson Soldozy 1, Leonel L Ampie 1 3, Saul F Morales-Valero 1, John A Jane 1
PMID: 33930863 DOI: 10.3171/2020.9.JNS202899
This month the PNA Spotlight focuses on Dr. Kevin Lillehei, Chair of Neurosurgery at University of Colorado Health Sciences Center and Medicine, where he directs the Pituitary Tumor Division and the Surgical Neuro-oncology Fellowship. He is also a member of the PNA Scientific Advisory Board. Dr. Lillehei earned his B.S. at Cornell University in New York, and his medical degree at the University of Minnesota. He did an internship and his residency at the University of Michigan Hospitals and Health Centers Program. He was kind enough to answer a few questions from the PNA. His answers follow.
What inspired you to choose your career path?
During residency I had a terrific neurosurgery mentor and role model who introduced me to the treatment of patients with pituitary tumors. Following graduation, I was fortunate to partner with an incredible group of endocrinologists at the University of Colorado who allowed me to continue my interest in the neurosurgical treatment of patients with pituitary tumors.
Reducing Nelson’s Syndrome in Cushing’s Patients
This month the PNA Medical Corner spotlights an article co-authored by PNA member Dr. Jason Sheehan of the University of Virginia at Charlottesville. The study finds that refractory Cushing’s disease patients who undergo stereotactic radiosurgery before having a bilateral adrenalectomy have a lower risk of Nelson’s syndrome.
Acta Neurochir (Wien)
2021 Mar 24.
doi: 10.1007/s00701-021-04823-1. Online ahead of print.
Adomas Bunevicius 1, Karen Lavezzo 1, Philip W Smith 2, Mary Lee Vance 3, Jason Sheehan 4
PMID: 33759014 DOI: 10.1007/s00701-021-04823-1
More Articles ...
- PNA Spotlight: Dr. Brian Williams
- March 2021 Research Articles
- March 2021 Medical Corner
- PNA Spotlight: Dr. Bernard R. Bendok
- February 2021 Research Articles
- February 2021
- February 2021 Medical Corner
- PNA Spotlight: Dr. Lewis Z. Leng
- Two Companies Partner to Pursue New Therapeutic for Acromegaly
- January 2021 Research Articles
- January 2021
- Dr. Nelson Oyesiku Named Chair Neurology at UNC School of Medicine
- PNA Spotlight: Dr. Tyler Kenning
- January 2021 Medical Corner
- December 2020 Medical Corner
- Dec 2020 Medical Corner
- PNA Spotlight: Yair Gozal, MD, PhD
- December 2020 Research Articles
- December 2020
- Patient Story Editorial - Chris
- Nov 2020 Research Articles
- November 2020
- Nov 2020 Medical Corner
- PNA Spotlight: Dr. Mario Zuccarello
- Patient Story Editorial - Traci
- October is Pituitary Awareness Month
- October 2020
- Oct 2020 Research Articles
- Oct 2020 Medical Corner
- PNA Spotlight: Dr. Steven Roper
- Patient Story: Shannon
- Strongbridge Announces RECORLEV™ (levoketoconazole)
- Sept 2020 Medical Corner
- Sept 2020 Research Articles
- September 2020
- PNA Spotlight: Dr. Aaron Cohen-Gadol
- Netflix Documentary Features PNA Members: Lenox Hill Hospital and Dr. John Boockvar
- New Oral Medication Approved For Acromegaly
- Dr. Nelson Oyesiku Named Endowed Chair at Emory
- PNA Welcomes New Chairman of the Board of Directors
- August 2020
- PNA Medical Corner: Osilodrostat for Cushing’s
- PNA Spotlight: Dr. Pouneh Fazeli
- Research Articles August 2020
- PNA Spotlight: Dr. Georgios A. Zenonos
- PNA Patient Hero: Sunny Ammerman
- PNA Medical Corner July 2020
- Ipsen Cares Program Evolves During COVID
- Research Articles July 2020
- July 2020 Extra Articles
- June 2020 Extra Articles
- Medical Corner June 2020
- Research Articles June 2020
- Pituitary Adenoma Clinical Trial
- Treatment of Aggressive Pituitary Tumors with Immunotherapy
- May 2020 Highlights Research Articles
- PNA Medical Corner: Endocrinology in the Era of COVID-19
- In Memorium Dr. Donald P. Becker
- PNA Spotlight: Dr. Daniel Prevedello
- May 2020 Highlights Extra Articles
- Covid-19 and the PNA
- "PNA wants to offer a heartfelt Thank you to all the first responders, doctors, nurses and all working on the front line of this epidemic"
- April 2020 Highlights Extra Articles
- April 2020 Highlights Medical Corner
- April 2020 Highlights Research Articles
- Happy New Year from PNA!
- PNA Thanks You!
- Financial and Medical Assistance Organizations
- Healthcare Tools and Resources
- Patient Support and Advocacy Organizations
- May 2018 Pituitary Research Articles
- Pituitary Network Association Brochures
- Countdown to 2018!
- Dear Supporter
- PNA Spotlight: Dr. Michael Ivan
- Pituitary Centers with Multi-Disciplinary Teams (Centers of Excellence)
- Pituitary Patient Resource Guide Sixth Edition Additional Information and References
- PDF Test Article
- Indian Man with Giant Arm Fights Stigma of Localized Acromegaly
- Hoag Hospital Pituitary Support Group Meetings
- PNA Medical Corner: Nonfunctioning pituitary incidentaloma
- PNA Medical Corner: GHRT
- July 2015 Pituitary Research Articles
- Low T3 Syndrome I: It’s Not About the Thyroid!
- PNA Spotlight: Dr. Daniel Kelly
- PNA Patient Conference a Big Success
- In Memoriam: Anja Ries Kjærgaard
- December 2014 Pituitary Research Articles
- Giving Tuesday
- November 2014 Pituitary Research Articles
- Endocrine Society Releases Clinical Practice Guideline for Acromegaly
- PNA Recommended Articles October 2014
- PNA Medical Corner: Dr. Oyesiku
- Patient Story: Acromegaly Causes Deformed Jaw
- Patient Story: Cushing’s Masquerades as Obesity
- Partner with PNA to Reach Pituitary Patients
- Family Resource Center